6 Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Ginger
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup pecan chopped
* I do all my prep work first. Measuring out all the ingredients in the appropriate bowls. i.e. all my dry ingredients in one bowl, pumpkin and lemon juice in another, sugar in one and eggs in another. I also prep my pans before I start mixing anything.
**** To prep pans - grease 2 (two) jelly roll pans and flour, then line bottom with wax paper. (You can also use non-stick spray in place of greasing them. I just use a paper towel to spread it evenly on the pan after spraying and before flouring.)
- Beat eggs on high for 5 minutes, while gradually adding sugar. This is what it will look like (above).
- Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
- Mix dry ingredients together (Salt, Ginger, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Nutmeg & Flour).
- Fold dry ingredients into the egg/sugar/pumpkin/lemon mixture. It will have pockets of flour, etc. so be sure to fold it in completely.
- Spread 1/2 batter onto each pan and sprinkle with pecan pieces. I use a 1 cup measuring cup to divide the batter evenly. (forgot to put the pecan pieces on this batch)
- preheat oven 350 and cook for 15 minutes each. I ALWAYS cook it for 15 minutes! It may look like it needs longer, but it really doesn't. Cooking it longer will guarantee the roll to crack/split when you unroll it after it is cool! You don't want this.
- Carefully peel the wax paper off the roll.
- Start from the small end of towel and roll it up into a roll, let cool for 4 hours
- After cooling unroll and frost. I frost both rolls at the same time and then roll. That way you can ensure that one roll doesn't have more frosting then the other.
- Chill well, slice and serve
Frosting Ingredients:
1 8oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1lb box powdered sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
- Put all ingredients into medium sized bowl and beat until smooth.
- Put 1/2 frosting on each pumpkin roll, then roll back up and chill before serving.
Tips:
I have found that using a hand mixer works best. It goes faster then my standing mixer and that allows more air into the egg/sugar mixture, which allows the rolls to be lighter and fluffier. When I use my standing mixter it tends to be a bit chewier.
You can use parchment paper rather then wax paper, it peels off easier, but I also have found that the rolls tend to be a little chewier then with wax paper. Crazy I know, but it's true.
A tip my mother-in-law gave me...if you think you're going to be making more than one batch for the season, which I always do. When measuring the spices for this batch, measure the spices for the future batch and put it in a ziplock bag. That way you will be all ready to go when it's time to make the next batch! It shortens the process which is nice because it can, at times, be a lengthy process. Very smart!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment